I'm 18 & I want the arm implant birth control. Do I need to get a Pap smear?

Dr. Magdala Beauvil

In brief: No

You do not need a Pap smear prior to insertion of an implant.
However, it would be a good idea to see your GYN for breast exam and cervical culture prior to initiation of any contraceptive method.

In brief: No

Dr. Magdala Beauvil
Dr. Magdala Beauvil
Dr. Anthony Gingo

In brief: Implanon

You do not need a pap until age 21.
You may need cultures for gonorrhea and chlamydia if you are sexually active. None of these need to be done for the implant to be placed.

In brief: Implanon

You do not need a pap until age 21.
Dr. Anthony Gingo
Dr. Anthony Gingo
Dr. Michael Hulse
Gynecology

In brief: No

A pap smear is not recommended in women under the age of 21 regardless of what method of birth control you use.
Paps begin at age 21 and are recommended every three years after that. The recommendations change with age. Hope that helps.

In brief: No

Dr. Michael Hulse
Dr. Michael Hulse
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham