How should vaginal discharge look during menopause?

Vaginal discharge. May change gradually after menopause. In a woman who does not use hormones, the vaginal mucosa gradually becomes atrophic or thin. This can cause an inflammatory discharge that appears yellowish. There may also be spotting due to breaks in the mucosa especially with sexual activity leading to blood-tinged discharge.
Clear or white. The normal vaginal discharge is clear or white. After menopause there may be less vaginal discharge due to the lower estrogen levels. Green, gray, or yellow discharge likely means an overgrowth of bacteria, while a lumpy (cottage cheese) discharge is common with a yeast infection. Red, pink, black, or brown discharge is associated with blood and is never normal after menopause.