How effective is Zoloft (sertraline) in treating panic disorder? Social anxiety? I really need to know or am I just wasting my time with it.

Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Panic disorder

Medication may play a role in helping but behavioral interventions are very helpful.
See a mental health professional who can help w/things like clinical hypnosis, imagery, or the like. See www.relaxationresponse.org for self-help also. Peace and good health. Your sympathetic nervous system is too sensitive.

In brief: Panic disorder

Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Bernard Seif
Dr. Charles Turck
Pharmacology

In brief: Effective for both

Zoloft (sertraline) is for both panic disorder and social anxiety.
One study showed that freedom from panic attacks was 62% versus 46% in the placebo (sugar pill) group. The percent reduction in panic attacks was 88% versus 53% in placebo. Also, a study showed significant improvement social anxiety. Know, though, that it doesn’t work for everybody, so be sure to assess as you go; another drug may be better.

In brief: Effective for both

Dr. Charles Turck
Dr. Charles Turck
Dr. Eric Weisman