I am getting an MRI and a needle in my spine (not sure what for) the first of March. Any tips for what I will experience?

Dr. Daniel Saurborn
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: Get more info.

First, get more information from your doc about your diagnosis and reason for MRI and injection.
It is important to be an informed patient. As far as the experience, it SOUNDS horrific, but the needle doesn't actually go through the spinal nerves. Doctors who do this are adept at making you comfortable during the procedure. You could ask your doctor for anxiety pills if you are very worried.

In brief: Get more info.

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Varies

MRI scans are usually pretty well tolerated, with the exception of people who are claustrophobic, as the space can be a little small and they take about 20-39 minutes.
Open MRI is an option. A "needle in your spine" varies based on the exact procedure. It may be diagnostic, such as in an LP, or as in an epidural steroid injection. You would certainly want to have a full understanding first.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Cindy Juster