I got a blood test today and for the first time in my life sgpt and sgot (liver enzymes) are very high. What could be the cause? Pregnancy? Smoking?

Pathology

In brief: This is serious

You will need a workup.
If you are drinking or taking medications, they may be repeated. If still high, you'll be checked for Wilson's, hepatitis B and C, hemochromatosis, autoimmune hepatitis, and perhaps a few others. This may be due to your pregnancy and/or your body asking for more exercise. Best wishes.

In brief: This is serious

You will need a workup.
Thanks for the followup and your kind words. Be strong and smart, and we'll find the cause and treat it.
Dr. Jane Van Dis