My mom just prescribed Namenda (memantine) for the 1st time for her dementia, the confusion and forgetfulness began about 3-4 months ago..will this help?

Dr. Steven Simon
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

Namenda (memantine) is one of several drugs used for dementia, and is reasonable to use.
I assume her doctor did a thorough work up to assess thyroid function, B vitamin deficiencies, depression, other brain dysfunction, or a chemical reaction to other meds she was taking first. Should this fail, other meds should be tried. You mentioned her age, but it should not be assumed this is just old age.

Dr. Steven Simon
Dr. Steven Simon
Dr. Kathy Robinson

In brief: For a while

Namenda (memantine) and other medications can help early in the course of the disease.
Unfortunately they do not work long term. Most forms of dementia are progressive and after a while the medications just stop working. I hope she has a good response.

In brief: For a while

Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Eric Weisman