How long would it take to wean off 3.0mg of clonidine taken everyday for past 5 months? I know that is a very large dose but I want to get off of this medication as soon as possible. How would I wean off it?

Dr. David Lipkin

In brief: See your Dr

You need to do this under a physicians care.

In brief: See your Dr

Dr. Karen Glover

In brief: Weaning off meds

Well, weaning usually depends on why you are taking the medication in the first place.
I would not recommend a self wean. At least discuss this with the doctor who prescribed it.

In brief: Weaning off meds

Dr. Jesse Krakauer
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Slowly- supervised

B"sd do not be in a rush as there is described a specific clonidine withdrawal syndrome.
Clonidine is an adrenaline agonist that in the brain SUPPRESSES activation of the sympathetic nervous system (contol of blood pressure, heart rate). Abrupt withdrawal can result in massive SNS activation - hypertensive crisis, fatal arrythmia or heart damage

In brief: Slowly- supervised

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine