If I haven't worn my retainers for a few months, will they shift my teeth back into place if it still fits?

Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: With luck

Depending on how your teeth have shifted, this may be possible.
If the space required for proper alignment is not still available, however, it is much less likely. Go see your orthodontic provider with your retainer to get information that is relevant to your situation .

In brief: With luck

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Most likely

If your retainer still fits you can start wearing it and you should see improved alignment soon.

In brief: Most likely

In brief: Possibly

They may also damage your teeth, gums, and bone if too much pressure is placed on the teeth.
Advice would be to see your orthodontist.. bring your retainer to your visit.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Andrea Brand