How long can I keep my retainers out? I just got them, but after I eat i usually keep them out for a few minutes.

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: It's totally fine!

Taking your retainers out for a few minutes is OK.
Wearing your retainer as instructed by your dentist/orthodontist is the key to maintaining the success of your orthodontic treatment.

In brief: It's totally fine!

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: A few mins is fine..

Your teeth will not radically shift in a few minute's time.
Wear them as directed by your orthodontist and if for any reason if they do not seem to fit correctly, go in for an appointment to have them adjusted.

In brief: A few mins is fine..

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Not long

The closer to 24hrs/day you wear your retainers, the better your post-treatment stability will be.
If you want relapse, cheat. Unfortunately as many as 1 out of every 4 Orthodontic patients require retreatment because of irregular retainer compliance. Follow your treating Dentist or Orthodontic Specialist's instructions to the letter. Look for reasons to wear them, not excuses to take them out

In brief: Not long

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Vicken Poochikian