I lost weight when I got Hep b and how long does a person with Hep B live? Mother and Brother both died of cirouses

Dr. David Lipkin

In brief: Depends

The answer is complicated and depends partly on the stage of cirrhosis, if any, at the time of diagnosis.
The prognosis is better if the patient has a good response to antiviral treatment.

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine

In brief: One of the most

important details is how old a person was when they acquired hepatitis B.
Infants and children have a high risk of developing chronic hepatitis B; if you are over 5 years when diagnosed the risk of chronic disease is about 5-10%. Your doctor/liver specialist will monitor your viral load to determine if/when you need treatment to prevent cirrhosis and liver cancer. Many can lead long lives.

In brief: One of the most

Dr. Julie Abbott
Dr. Julie Abbott
Dr. Vicken Poochikian