Why would a patient be on blood thinner for high heart rate?

Not for heart rate. Blood thinners don't really affect heart rate. Drugs like Coumadin (warfarin) (a powerful blood thinner) would be given to someone with a high risk of blood clots. Certain heart rhythm problems are significant risk factors for getting blood clots. Aspirin is also a blood thinner and is used to prevent heart attacks. The blood thinners are probably being given for one of these reasons.
Stroke prevention. The fast heart rate is probably a consequence of irregular heart beats coming from the top chambers (atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter). These conditions can lead to formation of blood clots inside the heart that can lead to strokes. As such, blood thinners are used to prevent it.