Causes of headache on left side of head above the ear and it hurts to touch my head in that area. No trauma, neck pain, or shoulder pain...

See dentist. You may have a jaw problem from grinding or clenching your teeth especially when sleeping. Suggest you get your jaws checked. If nothing there, then perhaps a MRI may be in order if the problem has been present for more than a few weeks or is getting worse.
There are certain. types of headaches that actually cause tenderness or pain to the touch including migraine or some type of neuropathy/nerve impairment. This feature isn't really alarmingly in and of itself. Do what you usually do for a headache--rest, dark room, OTC pain killers--but if this feature persists, see your doctor for evaluation. Stay well:)
You may have. neuritis or neuralgia from local nerve irritation in the temporal region of your scalp. Or you may have infection of the cranial or oculomotor nerve by a virus such as herpes or zoster (shingles). Please see a healthcare provider ASAP. Thanks for trusting in HealthTap.