Even though I got my tubes tied can I still get pregnant if I still get my periods?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: No

There is no relationship between having your tubes tied and your periods.
Having your tubes blocks the passage way between the ovary and the uterus. This blocks a one cell egg from reaching a one cell sperm. Your hormones continue just how they were before so your periods will not change.

In brief: No

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: BTL & Fertility

Btl is very effective and <1% have a failure rate and get pregnant.
The men's t dual periods have nothing to do with the tubes. You will have normal periods if you have normal ovaries and uterus. You will have menopause like everyone else. If you wanted pg, then you will need microsurgery or ivf. I hope this answers your question.

In brief: BTL & Fertility

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Craig Keathley

In brief: Unlikely

While no birth control is 100% effective, a tubal ligation is likely to prevent future pregnancy.
You will still have your normal menstrual period--the tubal does not affect the normal cyclic shedding of the uterine lining.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: IVF or tubal surgery

Unless your tubal ligation ('tying') was unsuccesful/failed you cannot get pregnant without help.
You may still have an excellent chance of pregnancy with ivf, and/or you might be a good candidate for tubal anastomosis ('tubal reversal.') a reproductive endocrinologist can help you learn more about these options.

In brief: IVF or tubal surgery

Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Kathleen Hong
Fertility Medicine

In brief: No

Not without ivf. When you have sex, the sperm travels up through the cervix -> uterus -> fallopian tube to meet the egg to fertilize it, then they come back down together (as an embryo) and implant in the uterus.
If the fallopian tube is blocked, the sperm and egg will never meet up.

In brief: No

Dr. Kathleen Hong
Dr. Kathleen Hong
Dr. Michael Fox
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Probably

Almost all tubal ligations are reversible.
Unfortunately, reproductive medicine has moved away from reversal surgery. Most practices pushing patients to ivf despite it being 3x as expensive for the preg rate. Our program is one of a handful that offers laparoscopic tubal reversal (outpatient) at a very low cost. With good ovarian function the preg rate can be >90% with chance for more preg.'s.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Michael Fox
Dr. Michael Fox
Dr. Adam Levy