Are there any interesting facts about infections during hurricanes and typhoons?

Dr. Mary p Marshall
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Decreased immunity

Infections are after-effects related to displacement of populations, environmental changes and increased vector breeding sites.
Unplanned and overcrowded shelters, poor water and sanitation conditions, poor nutritional status or insufficient personal hygiene are often the case. Consequently, there are low levels of immunity.

In brief: Decreased immunity

Dr. Mary p Marshall
Dr. Mary p Marshall
Pathology

In brief: Water contamination

The disruption in usual social services including the availability of safe drinking water and food my cause infections with fecal borne pathogens like cholera, typhoid, salmonella, amoebic dysentery and the like.
Stagnant water and flies and mosquitoes spread other diseases like diarrhea, and malaria.

In brief: Water contamination