What eye drop ingredient gives me inflamed eye lids? I tried fresh kote, Dry eye rejuvenation by B&L and Visine tired eye relief. In succession

Dr. Daniel Schainholz
Ophthalmology

In brief: BAK Preservative

Benzalkonium Chloride is a common preservative in eye drops, including artificial tears.
It can cause an allergic reaction in some people if the tears are used frequently. Try preservative-free single use vials of ocular lubricants and you should be okay for frequent dosing. Another alternative are these new electronic misting devices to spray a little cloud of clean water in your eyes. See EyeMD.

In brief: BAK Preservative