I have a bad cough runny nose, itchy throat and lots of whitish pleghm comes out when I cough, what does it mean?And what medication will I take?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Possibilities...

If you also have a fever, this could be acute bronchitis of probable viral origin, if the fever is low-grade.
This will run its course over a few days or so and symptomatic treatment is all that is needed. If there is no fever, this could represent allergic bronchospasm and bronchodilator and steroid inhalers would be prescribed. See your doctor.

In brief: Possibilities...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Tal Dagan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: URTI

Upper respiratory tract infections (urti) are usually viral in origin and are best treated symptomatically.
I your symptoms are present for only a few days to a week, you are best taking a decongestant pill like nyquil day or night or sudafed to get relief for the runny nose. For relief from phlegm Mucinex (guaifenesin) or Robitussin do a good job at breaking down the mucous.

In brief: URTI

Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Tal Dagan
Dr. Kristen Stuppy

In brief: Cough & Cold

Cough and colds are very common but also very miserable.
Use humidified air, saline rinse to the nose, and extra fluids to drink. Medications haven't really been shown to help much... Honey was proven to work better than dextromethorphan (the dm in cough meds). Most phlegm that comes up with cough is the stuff that drained from your sinuses. Antibiotics usually don't help.

In brief: Cough & Cold

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Jonathan Jassey