I spit out bad odored yellow granules in my mucus during brushing. Could it be the reason for my bad breath? A dentist already OK'd me. Chain smoker

Dr. John DeWolf
Dentistry

In brief: Possibly tonsils

Sometimes debris with bacteria form on and lodge into crevices on your tonsils in the back of your throat.
This is a possible source of both bad breath and granules in your mucous. Of course, you will need a physical exam to really determine if this is a concern but you may be able to see something in your own throat with a mirror. It goes without saying that you also need to quit smoking ASAP.

In brief: Possibly tonsils

Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. John DeWolf
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Ophthalmology

In brief: See another dentist

For 2nd opinion. Your bad breath could be from smoking, underlying infection, dental caries, gingivitis or from your tonsils, throat.
Granules could be tonsilar stones, and small bowel dysbiosis can also cause foul odor. Get a more comprehensive dental diagnosis. Maybe even an integrative ENT Doctor referral to see what medically what can be done too to help you.

In brief: See another dentist

Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Jan Lei Iwata
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Granules

First, stop smoking.
Won't matter if you have bad breath if you're dead. Second, see Physician to evaluate sputum, tonsils, GI tract, sinuses, systemic disorder, etc. Third, get a second opinion from another Dentist to evaluate for cavities, gum disease, tonsil stones, spaces between your teeth, diet, etc.

In brief: Granules

First, stop smoking.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Gingivitis, see DDS

If you have bad odored yellow granules in your mucus, it may be a sign that you are at risk for or already have gum infection.
Gingivitis is a serious problem, which should be checked by a dentist. Do not delay and call your DDS for exam and treatment.

In brief: Gingivitis, see DDS

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Vicken Poochikian