I have insomnia and mild depression. I was just prescribed .5 Klonopin and 10mg Elavil at bed time for sleep and 20 MG Prozac in the morning. My question is, since they are all 3 antidepr. would you suggest i try Klonopin and Elavil first or all 3?

Dr. Michelle King

In brief: It depends upon

upon several factors, and without knowing more about you it’s hard to say.
You may wish to speak to your prescriber and ask these specific questions. Prozac and Elavil are different types of antidepressants, and Klonopin (clonazepam) is a benzodiazepine; none of them are specifically for insomnia, but may cause sedation which may be why you were instructed to take them at night. Good luck!

In brief: It depends upon

Dr. Michelle King
Dr. Michelle King
Dr. Krishna Kumar

In brief: Insomnia

I understand your need to have good sleep.
None of these 3 medications are specific for insomnia. Using Klonopin with Prozac (fluoxetine) may increase dizziness, some impairment in thinking and judgment. Using Elavil with Klonopin may add to dizziness, drowsiness, breathing problems. Your insomnia is likely due to stress causing anxiety and mild depression. See Psychiatrist for Therapy ,Medication, Relaxation.

In brief: Insomnia

Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Krishna Kumar

In brief: Discuss with ur M.D.

There are many different combinations that can be used for the problem you describe and doctors have different approaches.
Klonopin is anxiety med not antidepressant. Your doctor seems to be mainly using Elavil to help sleep. The 20 mg dosage of Prozac is the main antidepressant in your combo. It is always a good idea to discuss the medications with your doctor so you understand the "game plan."

In brief: Discuss with ur M.D.

Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Dr. Michael Blumenfield