My sore throat is to the point where it hurts so bad I wake up from my sleep in sheer pain. I also tend to sleep with my mouth open.

You should see your. doctor. You could have strep throat or a viral infection. Sleeping with your mouth open can cause dryness, which can be irritating and uncomfortable, but usually wouldn't cause "sheer pain." The best way to tell what's going on is to see yoru doctor.
You should consult. with a doctor, because you could have strep throat, especially if you have a fever or difficulty opening your mouth.
Be seen. It's hard to say whether this is a virus or a strep throat. Be seen for a diagnosis and treatment. Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Ibuprofen may help the pain. All the best.