can aloe vera cause cancer? I have bought body butter from the brand dr. organic which is 100% organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice?

Dr. Deborah McGregor
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Aloe Precaution

Like many plant preparations, aloe may have different uses from different parts of the plant.
Aloe vera gel on skin irritations has been reported as soothing and cooling. Other Aloe plant parts taken by mouth has been report as having a major laxative effect. This is erroneously assumed to be a cause of "weight loss". In reality it is a loss of solid waste from the bowels. Better laxatives exist.

In brief: Aloe Precaution

2 comments
Dr. John Chiu
Aloe is being used for GERD as well.
Dr. Deborah McGregor
Thank you, Dr. Chiu!
Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Never heard of

I have never heard of aloe vera causing human cancer although I would not be too surprised that a certain strain of rodent may develop cancer from it.

In brief: Never heard of

Dr. Deborah McGregor
Thank you, Dr. Chio!