After my spinal tap I had a headache upon standing for 3-4 days. It's beginning to subside. Is this typical of a spinal headache? Can I go for a run?

Dr. Ilene Ruhoy
Neurology

In brief: Wait

A headache following an LP is caused by intracranial hypotension and is usually temporary as seems to be your case since your headache is subsiding.
But if you still have symptoms I would wait on running. Drink fluids, add NaCl tablets, caffeine, and bed rest until headache is gone. If symptoms persist, see your PCP for further evaluation and management.

In brief: Wait

Dr. Ilene Ruhoy
Dr. Ilene Ruhoy
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Not recommended

Most patients notice an improvement in their spinal headache after a few days and feel able to manage.
However, physical activity is not recommended.

In brief: Not recommended

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Spinal headache

Up to 40% will have a headache for a few days.
But why was spinal done? Diagnostic or therapeutic? Ask your team how many have headaches in their office after ST. Again ask them about running? Do you mean a mile, 5 miles or a marathon?

In brief: Spinal headache

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Raeford Brown
Anesthesiology

In brief: Spinal Headache

Typical after lumbar puncture and would be exacerbated by running.
Caused by continued CSf leak. Treatable with analgesics and hydration. Epidural blood patch is nearly. 100% effective if the headache is refractory to conservative measures.. Again running will exacerbate the headache until the dura has completely healed. 1-2 weeks.

In brief: Spinal Headache

Dr. Raeford Brown
Dr. Raeford Brown