When a drink says Sugar Free and has Aspartame (spelling) does it have 0 Sugar? Does aspertame have the same negative side effects as Sugar?

Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Artificial sweetner

Aspartane is a commonly used sugar substitute.
it has Zero sugar in it. But it does have some metabolic effects like the sugars. So avoid or minimize its use.... it may not be totally safe as it is claimed.

In brief: Artificial sweetner

Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Zero sugar, no risk

Aspartame is one of the most common sugar substitutes.
It is zero sugar and has none of the physiologic effects of sugar like contribution to weight gain and diabetes risk. (I don't know any other "negative side effects" of sugar.) You can find online comments that suggest that aspartame has its own health risks, but most experts consider those urban myths and believe aspartame is entirely safe.

In brief: Zero sugar, no risk

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Steven Seres