Stye on my eye my eyelid is slightly swollen also the white of my eye is red/ irritated is that normal? I've been using hot compresses to help

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Common symptoms

You are doing the right thing by using warm compresses.
Most tend to apply them too infrequently - apply very warm compresses over the involved eye for 4 minutes at a time 5-6 times a day. This will usually melt it away in several days. As long as the vision is normal, this should work. Using compresses 1-2 times per day will not usually work.

In brief: Common symptoms

Dr. Solomon Gelbart
Ophthalmology

In brief: Eye infection

Styes are common and usually imply less than perfect eyelid hygiene.
Hot compresses are the single best treatment initially along with vigorous lid cleaning using warm water and terry washcloth. Compresses should be as hot as tolerable and at least 3-4x/day. If your eye is also red and draining you may have conjunctivitis; need a topical antibiotic drop. See your Eye Doctor if not better 48hrs

In brief: Eye infection