Can my cardio determine the size of my Atrial Septal Aneurysm from a regular echo? Doing bubble study to rule out PFO. He says no need for TEE. :-/

Dr. Alan Heldman
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Echo for PFO

An echo is done with the ultrasound probe on the chest wall.
The quality of the image depends on the "window" between your ribs. It is usually not easy to see the atrial septum well. Transesophageal echo (TEE) with the probe in the esophagus gives much more detailed images. One question, though, is whether TEE would change anything about plans for your treatment. Send me more details?

In brief: Echo for PFO

Dr. Alan Heldman
Dr. Alan Heldman
Dr. Leonard Stein
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Yes, needs explanati

Rt & left atria weak muscled chambers & have septum- common wall between them. When this wall sways back and forth called an aneurysm.
Septum usually stands still as two atria contract. So `size' not meaningful. PFO is small hole in the common wall. May have flap & be diff to see. Saline is administered and shows as bubbles in Rt Atrium & Vent. Lungs remove bubbles. Bubbles seen Lft atrium: PFO

In brief: Yes, needs explanati

Dr. Leonard Stein
Dr. Leonard Stein
Dr. Leonard Stein
A PFO need be followed by ECHO. Symptoms of PFO occur if one develops pulmonary hypertension from smoking or asthma, & can happen when very small clots, formed on PFO, go to Lung, usually prevented with baby aspirin daily. Usually flow in PFO is Left to Right, if it reverses due to Pulm HTN there is danger that the small clots can go systemic to brain & other important organs. If PFO no smoking!
Dr. Jonathan Jassey