My 3 month baby has been persistently tugging at his left ear. He isn't crying, but I did notice some white crust around ear canal. Should I worry?

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Cradle cap can

appear in ear folds & behind ears, though it more often starts on the scalp.
It's a "potato-chip" rash - dry, but greasy, akin to dandruff. If mild, it requires no treatment except gently brushing off loose flakes of skin before shampoos. When his pediatrician checks to see if any flaking is in the outer 3rd of the external auditory canal, ask if you need to use medicated shampoo.

In brief: Cradle cap can

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Mgt

He may have an infection fhe outer canal or middle ear, I would suggest seeing your physician.
In the meantime, monitor his temperature and gently clean the area with soap and a washcloth.

In brief: Mgt

Dr. Jonathan Jassey