I had a TSH test done in the ER that came back elevated my doctor retested me and it came out normal what can cause this?

Dr. James Huang
In brief: Many
Tsh can fluctuate for many reasons.
Beside a tsh, it might be good to have a t3/t4 and further imaging (ultrasound and radioactive iodine test) and other tests to determine the cause. It also makes sense to have your physician take a complete history and physical exam.

In brief: Many
Tsh can fluctuate for many reasons.
Dr. James Huang
Dr. James Huang
2 comments
Dr. William Walsh
When you are ill, your TSH may be elevated without indicating thyroid dysfunction - your pituitary may be trying to ramp up thyroid function in illness. Further testing now (free T3) would help determine if the problem lies with your thyroid gland or elsewhere.
TSH levels tested during an acute illness may not accurately reflect thyroid function.
Dr. Jennie Law
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Illness changes tsh
Tsh can change when a person is sick.
If you went to the er, you were likely sick and had transient TSH abnormalities, so they returned to normal when you were rechecked. For this reason, most endocrinologists do not recommend thyroid evaluations for people in the hospital or during acute illness, unless there is really really high suspicion the thyroid is causing all the problems.

In brief: Illness changes tsh
Tsh can change when a person is sick.
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Jennie Law
Pathology
In brief: Depends
There are small random variations in tests that may give discrepant results at different times.
The two tests may have been done using different methods. Finally there are a small number of false positives.

In brief: Depends
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine