How can I test my allergic compatibility with oregano oil before starting intake? I have a moderate pollinosis.

Dr. Paul Carter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Tree allergic?

Oregano can cause mouth/ throat itching or irritation in people who are allergic to tree pollen, particularly birch tree.
However, only a small percentage will get theses symptoms, referred to as oral allergy syndrome. This is usually mild and confined to the mouth, but can cause other GI symptoms like nausea or abdominal pain. Oregano is not as likely a problem as apple or carrot.

In brief: Tree allergic?

Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
2 comments
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Carter is exactly correct. Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia has a great description of Oral Allergy Syndrome. Just google it.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Why bother? Oregano oil is useless. Best use of it is to throw it away.
Dr. Brian Novick

In brief: Not do easy

Most people aren't allergic to the oils.
And there is no standardized testing. Bring some to your allergist.

In brief: Not do easy

Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Brian Novick
Dr. Keegan Duchicela