I have severe insomnia with no sleep at all. diphenhydramine+melatonin and ambien (zolpidem) both work for me, but both are giving me chest pain. What to do?

Dr. Pacita David

In brief: See your doctor

There are many causes of insomnia.
It is important to contact your doctor to get a proper assessment , appropriate testing and referral to specialists if needed. In some cases there may be multiple causes going on simultaneously. There are many over the counter and prescription medications used to help with sleep, but the most effective approach is to diagnose and treat underlying cause(s). Best.

In brief: See your doctor

There are many causes of insomnia.
Dr. Matthew Parker

In brief: Possible Herbal Help

I have found that many of my patients find good results with the following combination, which can sometimes be found together in some OTC herbal sleep aids: Passionflower extract Melatonin (LOW dose.
..2mg or less) Valerian root The passionflower extract works quickly, the valerian lasts 6-8 hours, and the melatonin fills the gap between the two. Leave off the melatonin if it still causes pain.

In brief: Possible Herbal Help

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine