Had a left up molar tooth extraction for infected tooth which includes a bone graft. How long should I wait before resuming vigorous exercise?

Dr. Justin Nelson
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: 24hrs

Personally its a up to the patient but I always state 24hr because vigorous exercise will increase blood flow and excessive bleeding does not sit well with patients.

In brief: 24hrs

Dr. Justin Nelson
Dr. Justin Nelson
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Wait 48-72 hours

Limit vigorous exercise for the 48-72 hours, as this increases blood pressure and may cause more bleeding from the extraction site and cause dry socket.

In brief: Wait 48-72 hours

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Anthony Marra
Dentistry

In brief: How do you feel?

We all heal differently and depending on age, genetics, and overall health will really determine when you can you get back to your normal routine.
At your follow up appointment ask your oral health care provider. Normal 7 -21 days it will take the soft tissue to health over the grafted site. Excising will increase blood flow throughout the body and help site health discuss this with your provider.

In brief: How do you feel?

Dr. Anthony Marra
Dr. Anthony Marra
Dr. Ronald Hsu
Dentistry - Pediatric

In brief: 2-3 weeks

If your exercise is really rigorous then 2-3 weeks would be a good idea, but most of the time you can resume normal activities with in a week to 10 days.
If your surgeon secured the graft well you could resume even sooner. Check in with him/her.

In brief: 2-3 weeks

Dr. Ronald Hsu
Dr. Ronald Hsu
Dr. Jonathan Jassey