I recently had a cat scan done. The doctor said I have a renal cyst. Im 21 years old is that bad or what.?

Dr. Madhu Kandarpa
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: ? Family history
One condition is polycystic kidneys- runs in families, multiple cysts, may be cysts in other organs like liver. Begign cysts can seen.
Size and characteristics are important.

In brief: ? Family history
Size and characteristics are important.
Dr. Madhu Kandarpa
Dr. Madhu Kandarpa
Pathology
In brief: Don't worry
One person in four has a lone kidney cyst, or maybe a few.
If the radiologist is confident that it is a simple cyst, don't worry about it. It's a total non-problem. If it gets too big or you can feel it, you can have a needle put into it and have the fluid removed under ultrasound guidance.

In brief: Don't worry
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology
In brief: If truly simple and
Not associated with many more cysts in the kidneys or liver, it is benign and nothing to worry about.
Many people have them.

In brief: If truly simple and
Many people have them.
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Dr. Steven Seres