I have been diagnosed with GAD for 10yrs now I take 10mg of lexapro which helps reduce my anxiety but does not generally help with my panic attacks. I have been using xanax throughout my years of having GAD but my doctor won't prescribe it to me long term

Lexapro (escitalopram) Generally, I utilize cognitive behavioral therapy (or some other related type) as an adjunct to almost every treatment I prescribe. In panic disorder, this really helps prevent the panic attacks before they begin. When absolutely necessary, I've also found Klonopin to be a bit more helpful than Xanax (alprazolam). So, maybe discuss those options with ur psychiatrist. Hope that helps!
GAD can need more. than medication. Have you also been getting psychotherapy? Clinical Hypnosis and self-hypnosis training can be useful as part of that. Lots of other tools to explore. Stay w/your doc but please broaden your tool box. Peace and good health.
Dosage. Lexapro, 10 mg, is a dosage that is often insufficient to prevent panic attacks. A dosage of 15 to 20 mg daily is usually necessary. It should then prevent panic attacks, eliminating the need for Xanax (alprazolam). Beware that it does not prevent fear of panic attacks ("anticipatory anxiety").