Can deep brain stimulation if placed right be used to induce unconsciousness (not true sleep with different phases) since it can do other things?

In brief: No data on that

You are correct. DBS is useful for many different things but I've not heard nor read any research data on it being used to INDUCE a coma in patients.
It is thought of possibly in helping arouse/awaken patients in what's referred to as MCS (minimally conscious state) which can be considered as close to coma as you'll get but not to INDUCE one. Want to chat a bit? www.healthtap.com/drsaghafi

In brief: No data on that

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi