Is it ok to start yaz (drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol) not on the first day of my cycle or first Sunday after my period? If so will I be protected against pregnancy right away?

Dr. Cynthia Frazier
Gynecology

In brief: Oral contraceptives

are effective during the first cycle taken if they are started within 4 days of the first day of the menses.
The first Sunday after the period starts may or may not be within the first 4 days of the menses. To be safe start your first pack of OCs on the first day of your menses.Keep in mind this only applies on your first pack of pills. After that just take a pill daily.

In brief: Oral contraceptives

Dr. Cynthia Frazier
Dr. Cynthia Frazier
Dr. Adam Levy