Hello! I have an 18 yr old daughter on liquid sertraline for anxiety and OCD. She is having great difficulty swallowing due to the bad taste. Hence, she doesn't take it as prescribed. Can zoloft tablets be crushed and taken with food like applesauce?

Dr. Patricia Foster

Not uncommon for older kids to have trouble swallowing pills due to severe anxiety/OCD.
Try crushing tablet and mixing with applesauce or ice cream. Do talk about this issue with therapist or prescribing doctor. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: I misread your ?

liquid form of Zoloft that has 20 mg.
of Zoloft/ml. of suspension. The dose must be measured with the accompanying dropper & mixed with 4 oz. of liquid in a non-porous glass. The patient must drink the entire dose at one time. People <25 years old must be monitored for signs of depression. The mainstay of treatment for OCD is long-term Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Medications are adjunctive.

In brief: I misread your ?

liquid form of Zoloft that has 20 mg.
Dr. Eric Weisman