What are signs of torn ligaments/tendons in the ankle?

Depends on ligament. Ankle ligament rupture if chronic typically has instability and "giving way" as it's main symptom, this is the same for subtler instability. Midfoot ligament rupture is usually represented by pain an the medial side with a flat foot deformity. This represents either rupture of the ligament keeping the arch up or the junction of the hind foot and midfoot. It could also be represented by pain!
Ankle sprain. The common signs are swelling, pain, and bruising depending on the severity of the sprain.