Hi doctors, can scoliosis cause chest pain ? I had Spina bifida as a child and operated on when born ,walk slightly with curved back. Thankyou

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Neuromuscular

SB is a neuromuscular condition that causes muscle weakness, spasticity or paralysis, making them unable to support the spine, resulting in scoliosis. If not fused in adolescence, scoliosis can progress in adulthood. Premature arthritis of SB includes the spine & worsens with age. Spinal cord tethering can occur at any age. See your SB team for evaluation & treatment

In brief: Neuromuscular

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Please know that arthritis & pain worsen in all of us as we age, not just folks with Spina Bifida. I'm impressed that you got such good medical care in infancy & childhood that these annoying symptoms are just now getting in your way. I'll bet that a combination of innate gumption, enriched environment & high parental expectations led to the kind of adult outcome I wish all my patients could have.
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine