Do eye allergies cause photophobia?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not usually

but I can think of a couple of things which may lead to photophobia as a secondary phenomenon: (1) if the cornea is scratched from rubbing, it may cause photophobia due to transient changes in refraction.
(2) If one were to use eye drops containing an antihistamine, the anti-cholinergic effect from the type of antihistamine may cause some pupil dilation leading to photophobia.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Thomas Josa

In brief: Not prominent

Photophobia is more characteristic of other forms of conjunctivitis than that caused by allergens such as pollens in the air but it can depend on how severe the inflammation.

In brief: Not prominent

Dr. Eric Weisman