I slept funny on my shoulder and it's been hurting for days. What might be wrong and should I get it checked out?

Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine
In brief: Consider neck issue
The location of pain often gives us clues to the cause.
Pain after an abnormal sleeping position is often referred from the neck, especially if pain is near the shoulder blade. Muscle strain, ligament sprain or facet joint irritation are common. True shoulder problems are also often worsened by sleeping on that side with rotator cuff being the most common. See your doc if not better within 1 week.

In brief: Consider neck issue
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Bursitis.
You may have an inflammed bursa, or tendinitis.
People in your age group generally incur these, with no specific trauma to the shoulder. It should respond to icing and anti-inflammatory medication.

In brief: Bursitis.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine