I have trouble falling asleep at night, and when I do I sleep 13 hours and still crave long naps during the day. I usually feel fatigued all day.?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Not good

See you local doctor as many things can cause your symptoms, including thyroid problems.
Once medical issues are addressed, you may need a sleep study and/or a thorough psychiatric evaluation.

In brief: Not good

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. TRUC DAO

In brief: Insomnia + fatigue

Sleep problem + non-recuperative sleep + constant fatigue are the main symptoms of the depressive syndrome ( depression).
There are more symptoms that you may not pay attention to but may recognize once you know what are the other symptoms. Search " how to diagnose depression". Call your doctor if you have a lot of the mentioned sx. Treat early, recover faster.

In brief: Insomnia + fatigue

Dr. TRUC DAO
Dr. TRUC DAO
Dr. Christopher Dowd

In brief: Many possibilities

I'd suggest seeing your doctor for more detailed discussion and evaluation.
Considerations include anxiety/depression, various sleep disorders, sleep apnea, rls, poor sleep hygiene, among others. As prev suggested, avoid naps, limit caffeine after 2p, consistent bed & awake times, no tv or reading in bed.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Christopher Dowd
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Insomnia

For proper "sleep hygiene, " one should try to go to bed about the same time every night, get up at the same time every morning and avoid naps.
Caffeine may interfere with one's sleeping patterns. If you continue to have problems you should visit a physician. Good luck.

In brief: Insomnia

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer

In brief: Depression or Apnea

Depression or sleep apnea are the two major causes of these symptoms.
Depression is more likely because of the difficulty you report in falling asleep and having non-restorative sleep. Talk with your primary care physician and depending on what he/she says ask for a referral to a sleep center for a study or a mental health professional for an evaluation.

In brief: Depression or Apnea

Dr. William Drescher
Dr. William Drescher
Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: In addition to Dr.

Dai's excellent answer, insomnia itself can precipitate depression.
You may need to see a sleep medicine doc in addition to a psychiatrist.

In brief: In addition to Dr.

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich