Got norovirus and vomit every 20-40mins, i drink water every time I vomit but how long to absorb it to prevent dehydration?

Dr. Thomas Mcgowan

In brief: Vomiting

I would try and wait at least an hour to try and sip on water or ice chips after vomiting.
As for how much gets absorbed to prevent dehydration before you vomit, you absorb a little but lose most and possibly more through bodily fluids. You may want to try and ask for an anti nausea medication to help.

In brief: Vomiting

Dr. Thomas Mcgowan
Dr. Thomas Mcgowan
Dr. Matt Wachsman

In brief: Tricky

certainly 40 minutes is a long time.
Absorption is also AMOUNT dependent. this leads to the standard advice of small amounts of fluid (1 tablespoon q 3 to 5 min) and work up in tolerated amount. Pepto, ginger, and of course prescription meds can be helpful. a scale can monitor and a 5 pound drop in weight starts to get serious.

In brief: Tricky

certainly 40 minutes is a long time.
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Vicken Poochikian