Why does caffeine slow down my heart rate? If I drink coffee, tea or anything with caffeine my heart slows alot. What would cause this?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

In brief: Atypical reaction

cannot say in your particular case, but generally, of course it speeds up the heart a little bit.
If the change was under 10 beats per minute it is just coincedence. Assuming the heart rate really did decrease there are still several possibilities. One is there is a reflex slowing of the heart if the blood rpessure increases. or stimulation of the gut (vaso vagal reaction) or relaxed w. drink

In brief: Atypical reaction

Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Matt Wachsman
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology