I have pain on top of foot, assuming a ligament strain like a had a year ago from overuse. I don't know the best treatment for this?

Get re-evaluated. Pain could be as a result of many different things. One would need to do a thorough history and physical exam and possibly some laboratory and radiology exams to determine the exact cause. Have it re-evaluated. Treatment depends on the exact cause of the problem.
Pain top of foot. Could be a number of things. Should have it looked at by foot specialist. Better to diagnose than begin treatment. Good Luck.
Foot Pain Top Area. Judith, there are so many possibilities, I can not guess right now. Depends what the pain is like, how the pain came on, if there is any swelling, etc etc etc. See my patient questionnaire, think about the presentation, and perhaps ask again. Dr Rich Blake http://www.drblakeshealingsole.com/2010/06/giving-good-medical-history-for-pain.html.
R.I.C.E treatment. The best way to treat a sprain (Assuming it is a sprain) is to follow what we call R.I.C.E. (Rest, ice, compression, and elevation). Avoid walking, or use crutches. If it is more than 2 days old use warm compresses instead of ice. Elastic bandage or ankle brace will provide compression. Keep your leg elevated when sitting or lying. If not better in 7 - 10 days, then see a doctor.
Ligament Strain. Rest, compression, possible the use of a walking boot until it heals. be sure you identify the underlying cause and try to avoid, assuming this is again an overuse injury.
Go Figure. Having recurring pain is often time frustrating. It appears that the real problem is merely an assumption and that can lead to a treatment protocol that treats the symptoms and not the true cause. Since it now your second go around, a more directed evaluation is in order. You best direction is to be evaluated by a experienced specialist.
Rice. Soft tissue injuries are usually initially treated with RICE which stand for rest, ice, compression, and elevation. An NSAID can potentially be helpful as well. Don't hesitate to be seen if it fails to improve.
Ice. an anti-inflammatory if not contraindicated and shoes that don't make the issue worse...
Fot pain for one yea. Did you had an injury? even before one year, were you involved in a MVA, Do you have pain in the lower back ? Have you had an MRI, do you have a report to share. In my opinion you have a trigger point 1-3, The best treatment is infiltration with a mixture of 1 % Lidocaine with 1 ml (40 mg.) Depo Medrol) in the most painful areas. times 3-4. Take by mouth Celexa (citalopram) 30 mg 2 a day and Gabapentin 100 mg.