Does prozac (fluoxetine) really heal the brain in depression or does it just mask depression?

Can really help. Prozac (fluoxetine) acts to help normalize the levels chemicals in the brain that are responsible for mood. It can take 6 months to achieve sustained normal levels, and then tapering can be possible. But some people need it for ever because their brains cannot regulate the levels properly. Sometimes there are other causes of depression. and Prozac (fluoxetine) may help in that case, or it may not work.