Could a mass in between the lung and heart be scar tissue from a hernia surgery?

See doctor. It is unlikely that the mass could have arisen from a hernia surgery. Hernias are near the surface of the body, while this sounds like it is deeper. It could be something serious, like a malignancy, so you might need a biopsy. See your doctor for a full evaluation.
What kind of hernia? It depends on the location of the hernia and what kind of surgery was done. Surgery for a hiatal hernia or diaphragmatic hernia may cause scar near the heart. But even this should not lead to a mass between the heart and lung.