Can you give any guess as to what is causing my horizontal bone loss in parts of my mouth? Non-smoker, per visits 4 x's year, good oral hygiene.

Dr. Kayvon Javid
Dentistry

In brief: Periodontal disease

There are many factors that contribute to bone loss around your teeth for example: smoking diabetes poor oral hygiene stress heredity crooked teeth underlying immuno-deficiencies fillings that are defective taking medications that cause dry mouth bridges that don't fit properly female hormonal changes.

In brief: Periodontal disease

Dr. Brian Hoffman
Dentistry

In brief: Also

The systemic condition of osteoporosis, as well as diabetes.
Both will increase the incidence of periodontal bone loss.

In brief: Also

In brief: Periodontal disease

The good news is that periodontal disease is preventable, but unfortunately, some people are more susceptible than others, due to a genetic predisposition.
The key to prevention is keeping the 'pocket' (the region between the gum and the tooth) as clean as possible. In my practice, I have found that diligent patients like yourself, can benefit tremendously by using a water jet device, daily.

In brief: Periodontal disease

In brief: See a Periodontist

Perhaps you already see a periodontist.
Sometimes there is just a generalized loss of bone. If its horizontal bone loss without pockets & not accompanied by gum inflammation, bleeding gums, tooth mobilities, or increasing sites/places plaque can accumulate, it might not be anything to be concerned about. Do you grind your teeth?

In brief: See a Periodontist

Perhaps you already see a periodontist.
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Occlusion

See a prosthodontist to evaluate your bite and overall occlusion.
Ask about fremitus. Also see about clenching and grinding. How do we loosen a fencepost ? We rock it back and forth. Can loosen a tooth and lose bone by the same type of rocking forces. Good luck.

In brief: Occlusion

Dr. Jane Van Dis