Diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease by my specialist today, I've been prescribed levothyroxine long term to help with hypothyroidism. Will it get worse?

Dr. Robert Sterling
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Thyroid Banzai!!

Ahh so. Hashimoto's is an auto-immune problem, which means that your body's immune system, for some reason, decides that your thyroid is foreign territory & starts to eat away at it in attempt to destroy it.
Lotsa fun, huh? So in the course of this self-destruction, the thyroid could act up or, as in your case, wind down, so your Rx is just part of the picture. Keep in close contact with your doc!

In brief: Thyroid Banzai!!

Dr. Robert Sterling
Dr. Robert Sterling
Dr. Keegan Duchicela