Thyroid problem? I've noticed my toenails have literally fallen off from the bed without trauma. Also my fingernails are lifting from the bed as well

Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry

In brief: You nailed it.

There are a multitude of conditions that can cause toenails to become brittle, thickened, break off and even lift off from the nail bed.
Both hypo and hyper thyroidism are included in the list of conditions. of course, there are a whole lot of other symptoms associated with both of these conditions. If you feel that you might have a thyroid condition you should follow up with your family doctor.

In brief: You nailed it.