My daughter is able to get her flu shot but I'm scared she will have an allergic reaction to the chicken eggs used. Any suggestions?

Dr. John cuong Doan

In brief: What type of

reaction did she have in the past? If there has been any reaction that can be attributed, then the flu shot is not for her. If she has had a reaction, and she got the flu shot, I would have Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and/or Atarax ready with perhaps some Epi pen just in case.
Egg allergies can be nasty and unpredictable.

In brief: What type of

Dr. Christine Hom
There are now egg-free vaccines available although they may not be available everywhere. For patients who have had egg allergy reactions, there are instructions issued by the CDC on how to proceed with flu vaccine. Hives, for example, would not be a contraindication. See http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6033a3.htm?s_cid=mm6033a3_w
Dr. Christine Hom

In brief: Flu shot

If she was not previously allergic to eggs, this should not stop you from getting the flu shot.
If she is allergic to eggs, she can still receive the flu shot with good supervision.

In brief: Flu shot

Dr. Jane Van Dis