My husband was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia taking nexium, (esomeprazole) but he is losing weight, loss of appetite, and sleeps a lot could this be more then a herni?

Talk with your doc. Great question. When belly pain or any changes in our digestion are also associated with losing weight, it increases our level of our concern. If we feel bad, eat less, we will often lose weight. *but* it's important to check out other things too and make sure it's not the more worrisome things. Good for you!
Maybe. Anemia can cause these problems which may be secondary to occult bleeding. He should get stool occult blood and if positive should get a upper and lower endoscopy.
Sick at Ft. Bragg. Get him to his doctor at his outlying primary care clinic or at womack army medical center....He needs to have an upper endoscopy and a thorough work up. Ask for them to rule out sleep apnea as well! Good luck from former active duty family physician at joel health clinic. If you happen to be assigned to joel clinic ask for ms. Peoples and tell her dr. Mitchell sent you.
Paraesophageal. Large hiatal hernias, also known as a paraesophageal hernia, can cause the symptoms. These types of hernias can also cause anemia from a occult bleeding from something known as cameron's erosions. These hernias are usually diagnosed with upper G.I. Contrast study and endoscopy.