What can cause cramping in the calve muscle during periods of the night if not related to a varicose vein or DVT issue?

Dr. Elliot Lach
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Leg cramps

People can get leg cramps especially at night.
They are quite distressing and often can be halted quickly by a maneuver where you point your toes in the direction of your nose to stretch and massage your calf muscles. Stretching before going to bed can prevent this altogether. If this doesn't work, you may have circulation issues or get some blood tests to look for chemical irregularities.

In brief: Leg cramps

Dr. Elliot Lach
Dr. Elliot Lach
Dr. Richard Zimon
Another source for cramping is a low POTASSIUM or CALCIUM level usually due to medications of various types.....
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Cramps

hard to pinpoint check diet magnesium/potassium drink more fluids during the day try support his during daily activities

In brief: Cramps

Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Susan Rhoads

In brief: Several causes.

Potassium deficiency may do this, or other abnormalities.
Also, wearing a new kind of shoe too long that requires gripping, like flip-flops or clogs, without gradually increasing time spent wearing them, can cause nasty cramps in the calf. I call it "Flip-flop Foot" & it happened to me for a couple of springs, till I realized what was going on and started wearing them for short periods initially.

In brief: Several causes.

Dr. Susan Rhoads
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Dr. John cuong Doan

In brief: Restless leg syndrom

and neuropathic dystrophy may cause some leg cramping.
Electrolyte issues such as low potassium or magnesium, or dehydration, can also cause muscle cramping in the legs. You may want to see a healthcare provider to get tests done if this condition persists. Thank you for trusting in HealthTap.

In brief: Restless leg syndrom

Dr. John cuong Doan
Dr. John cuong Doan
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine